Selecting a Laptop That's Right for You
Why should you buy a laptop?
Whether you are a student, a working professional, or a homemaker, we have come to a point when just about everyone needs a laptop. While some people use laptops purely for work, some use them to be in touch with their near and dear ones. Students need laptops to access the world of information available on-line. There are a variety of laptops out there, and it might be an overwhelming decision to make when it comes to choosing the best laptop that suits your requirements.
Types of Laptops
What are the different types of laptop?
- Notebook: Generally sleeker, smaller computers with screens of under 15 inches. They are usually lighter and thinner than laptops, with a weight of less than five pounds and a thickness of less than three inches.
- Ultraportable: These laptops are lightweight, usually coming in sizes between 13-inches and 14-inches, and weigh under three pounds. They are also called sub-notebooks and have fewer connection ports to maintain it's slim profile.
- Ultrabook: The ultrabook is usually equipped with more powerful hardware, always with an Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 processor, and it is very portable. This is a laptop designed for heavy users and those who are often on the move.
- Chromebook: Chrome Operating System-based laptops that run web apps and save data to the cloud rather than on the laptop itself. An affordable alternative to a Windows laptop or MacBook
- MacBook: These laptops run the macOS operating system and comes in 2 families, the ultra-thin MacBook Air, and the high-performance MacBook Pro. It is a line of Macintosh laptops designed by Apple.
- Convertible: This device combines the features of a laptop and a tablet. They can switch between traditional keyboards and touchscreen tablets with ease, using detachable, tilt-back and twist-back mechanisms.
- Tablets: Tablets are capable of serving as laptops when used with a detachable keyboard. Unlike convertible laptops, these devices can quickly switch to tablet mode without the extra weight and bulk of a keyboard.
What reviewers say
How much RAM do I need?
- 4GB: This is the minimum requirement for basic productivity. Budget-friendly, Low-end Chromebooks and some tablets usually have 4GB RAM.
- 8GB: Entry-level notebooks usually come with this. It's suitable for all productivity tasks and less demanding games.
- 16GB: It is recommended for demanding applications like video editing and CAD. It works well for both Windows and Mac OS systems and for running games.
- 32 GB: If you intend to use a large number of applications at once, or if you intend to play some demanding games, this is for you.
- 64GB: This level is suitable for enthusiasts and purpose-built workstations. Engineers, professional video editors and similar types should begin here and advance if necessary.
How long does a laptop battery last?
- Li-ion batteries discharge and recharge normally for about a year under normal conditions and at ambient temperatures (25°C). The capacity of the battery will then fall to about 80% of its original capacity.
What should you consider when buying laptops?
Not all types of laptops are suitable for everyone. You select a laptop based on your particular needs and requirements. After going through thousands of laptop reviews, we have listed down some quick tips to help you with your choice.
Pick your platform: In most cases, you will have to pick between Mac, Windows, Linux, or Chrome OS. Each of these operating systems is unique in their own way and offer some very specific features that make people love the OS that they find to be convenient to use.
Decide if you are looking for a flexible model: With the growing popularity of tablets, people today prefer these hand-held devices for the convenience they offer. Many laptop manufacturers, therefore, provide a flexible laptop model that can be switched from the traditional form to a tablet mode with a detachable screen.
Choose the right size: This is a feature that primarily depends on your needs and how portable you want your laptop to be. 13-to-14-inch laptops are the most popular, as they have screens that are adequately sized, and are convenient to carry around as well.
Check the keyboard: No matter how good the laptop is, if it does not have a well-placed keyboard and touchpad, it will be uncomfortable to use. You should be sure to check the ergonomics of your keyboard.
Pick your specifications appropriately: Check aspects such as the RAM, hard drive space, processor speed, etc., and match these specifications with your requirements.