Air Mattresses--For a More Comfortable Sleep
What is an air mattress?
An air mattress, also known as an airbed, is an inflatable mattress made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or rubber or a special type of urethane plastic. In the deflated state, the mattress can be easily compressed, carried, or stored. They can be used outdoors and at home, and they may also be optimized to combine multiple uses.
Why should I buy an air mattress?
Air mattresses promotes a good sleep and help prevent skin breakdown by promoting blood flow and stimulating blood circulation in the body. The air-filled sacs within the mattress help in alternating body positioning so that pressure is not built up on body parts susceptible to pressure sores and the body is free to move comfortably.
Types of Air Mattresses
What are the different types of air mattress?
There are three main types of air mattresses to consider:
- Foam mattresses: This is made of single- or multi-layer memory foam that conforms to the body to distribute pressure and provide comfort. Memory foam distributes weight over a wide surface at a low pressure while adapting to the shape and movement of a user, allowing them to rest comfortably.
- Air flow mattresses: As opposed to a static surface found in foam mattresses, this type of mattress relieves and redistributes pressure through a dynamic surface. Air pressure mattresses play a vital role in treating and preventing pressure sores. Mattress cells gently inflates, providing comfort to the user and, as they deflate, provides relief for the skin above them. The mechanism encourages blood to flow to the skin, which is crucial to maintaining healthy skin.
- Hybrid air mattresses: The interior of hybrid mattresses are composed of foam layers, which help relieve pressure and provides comfort, as well as an active static surface to maintain blood flow. They combine the benefits of foam mattresses and air mattresses to provide excellent pressure relief. Hybrid mattresses, however, require a pump to fill the alternating air pockets, so a power source is necessary.
What reviewers say
What are the things to consider when buying an air mattress?
Consider these key factors when buying an air mattress:
- Height: Single-height or Double-height mattress, each has its benefits depending on the user's needs.
- Single-height mattresses are lightweight, portable, and easy to roll up, making them perfect for outdoor activities like camping and road trips. The beds come with tubes that you can blow into to inflate them. However, they do not provide much support and may quickly deflate.
- Double-height mattress come with an electric air pump that makes it easier to inflate them. They feel like an actual mattress and are more durable than a single-height air mattress. Many of them are coated with a soft, vinyl, which keeps sheets in place.
- Size: The sizing rules for air mattresses are similar to those for traditional mattresses. Their firmness, however, varies based on their inflation rate. If you have the budget, it might be worth it to consider upgrading from a twin bed to a full, queen, or king bed if you plan to sleep two people on it together. More space ensures that users are able to move freely and get a good night's sleep.
- Support Capacity: An air mattress' packaging will indicate how much weight it can hold. Ensure the mattress can hold a user's weight well enough based on the model's support capacity. Remember, however, that a higher capacity doesn't necessarily mean a mattress is better or more durable.
- Features: Some air mattresses have features that makes it more fun to sleep with. For example, some models come with a blue LED light at the foot of the bed, which can be used as a nightlight. Other mattresses even have sensors that alert them if pressure drops throughout the night and pump in more air if necessary. Some models have a USB port for charging gadgets such as cellphones and tablets overnight.
- Storage: Before purchasing a mattress, make sure it comes with a storage bag and instructions on how to fold it. These tarps, when deflated, become heavy, unwieldy, and difficult to carry. It is recommended to measure each folded air mattress to determine how much closet space it needs when not in use.
How should you take care of your air mattress?
Here are some tips to help keep an air mattress in good condition for years to come:
- Check your environment: Make sure you place and set your air mattress in an area that is free of potential hazards before inflating it. When using it indoors, sweep or vacuum the floor before laying out the deflated mattress, and keep sharp objects and stones away from the mattress when using it outdoors. To prevent further damage, keep your air bed away from heat sources like fires and vents.
- Inflate properly: When a mattress is underinflated, uneven weight distribution wears on the material and makes it easier to puncture. Similarly, overinflating your mattress could result in a blowout if the seams become overloaded.
- Bedding: Blankets and bedding can serve as safety measures against hazardous objects while also preventing the vinyl from wearing out too quickly. A good quality of bed sheets will prevent dust and dead skin cells from building up on the mattress, thus keeping it clean and odor-free.
- Cleaning: You should clean your air mattress regularly to get rid of dirt, residue, and bacteria. Use a clean cloth and simple solution to clean it while it is inflated and rinse it thoroughly with clean water afterwards. Be sure to towel dry the mattress before deflating it, and let it air dry before storing it.
- Storage: In order to keep your air mattress in excellent condition, it is important to store it properly. Store your air mattress in a well-organized space where it will be easy to find and protected from sharp objects, excessive heat, and excessive cold. You must ensure that the air bed has been totally dried and that it is free of any dirt or dust if it has been exposed to water. When your air mattress is ready for storage, spread it flat on the ground and fold it neatly before putting it inside the storage bag.
Air mattresses are considered best for most people because you can adjust the firmness you like. They are suitable for persons suffering from back ailments because of the customization options. They are also odor-free because they are not filled with material that can trap any smell. Moreover air mattresses are easy to clean and maintain.