How to Select a Bidet Toilet Seat
A bidet toilet seat attaches to your existing toilet and can easily be installed without any professional assistance. Besides the positive effects on your health, bidet toilet seats offer maximum hygiene to users and provide much-needed convenience to individuals with limited mobility.
Selecting the right bidet seat can often be a challenge, with the wide variety of products and the vast range of prices available on the market. This buying guide takes you through each step in the selection of the best bidet toilet seat.
What is a bidet toilet seat?
The bidet toilet seat is a bathroom fixture that is used to clean your bottom with water after using the toilet. Simple DIY installation allows them to be mounted on existing toilets. It features a hygienic nozzle that extends beneath the seat to spray, then retracts inside when not in use. There are even electronic bidet toilet seats that come with integrated heaters, so the user can wash with warm water. Additionally, these modern toilet seats have all sorts of extras such as heated seats, night lights, and deodorizers.
What are the benefits of having bidet toilet seat?
The following are some popular benefits of having a bidet toilet seat at home:
- Improves Personal Hygiene: The toilet seat bidet helps keep your hands and toilet seat clean after using the restroom. By rinsing your butts with water rather than manually cleaning them with your hands or toilet paper, you can prevent the spread of bacteria. Additionally, a bidet toilet seat is more sanitary since it uses clean water to remove any residue left on your skin.
- Convenience: Bidet toilets are more comfortable to use than traditional toilets. This device can spray water in a variety of directions, while the temperature and intensity are adjustable, making it highly convenient to use at any time of the day. The need to stock toilet papers in the restroom is no longer necessary, nor will you experience discomfort from rubbing your bottom while washing it.
- Cost-effective: A bidet can also be a cost-effective option for your bathroom. When you buy less toilet paper, you'll use much less, cutting down your weekly expenses and reducing household waste, since there'll be less packaging to throw away.
- Environmental Friendly: By reducing your paper consumption, you not only save trees, but your local waste water facility will benefit from a reduction in paper that has to be screened out. Using less toilet paper will also allow your septic tank to be emptied less often.
How to take care of your toilet seat bidet?
Following are some tips that you can use to keep your bidet clean so that it lasts a long time:
- Keeping it clean:To keep your bidet seat clean, wipe down the seat top and bottom, the base, and all other components with your damp cloth and gentle cleanser. Old toothbrushes can also be used to get into the space between the bidet seat and the toilet. Some models have self-cleaning features that keep a basic level of cleanliness without any action from the owner. Therefore, you don't need to clean the bidet nozzle after every use
- Replacing filters: Replace water and air filters regularly. Keeping your bidet clean will help extend its life, as well as prevent unnecessary water deposits on the nozzles. Also, a properly maintained air filter will prevent bathroom odors from developing.
- Disinfecting controls: Users should also disinfect your remote control or side panel remote if you have one on your bidet toilet seat to prevent possible cross contamination of germs.
Types of Bidet Toilet Seats
- Non-Electrical: The simple bidet models are mechanical devices that do not use electricity and offer minimal features. Some of them can be connected to an external hot wire line to provide warm water. A feminine wash feature and self-cleaning nozzles are some of the other features that may come with this kind of seats.
- Electrical bidets: These high-end bidet toilet seats come with all kind of fancy features mentioned above. However, they are much more expensive than the simple models. They would need to be connected to an external power supply. Some models come with a built-in source of power with batteries and internal circuits.
What reviewers say
- Warranty: If you’re making a significant purchase, then you want to ensure the product comes with good after-sales service and is built to last. According to consumer reviews, it is always better to choose a product that has some kind of warranty. Always check the warranty period and the parts and features covered under the warranty.
- Stainless steel nozzles: Stainless steel nozzles are sturdy and more resistant to bacteria. They have no pores or cracks which may allow dirt or bacteria to settle in. Nozzles made of silver iodide are also long-lasting and easy to clean. Plastic nozzles break and corrode easily.
- Power supply: Before buying an electrical bidet toilet seat, you should consider the available power outlets in your bathroom. Models that are battery-operated may not require an external power supply.
- Controls: After going through thousands of customer reviews, it becomes clear that most users stress responsive buttons and remote settings that make the use of a bidet toilet seat more convenient.
Budget: Many different types of bidet toilet seats with various functions are available in the market. Keeping in mind that a sturdy design is going to last for several years, you can decide on the amount of money you are ready to spend on it. This factor alone minimizes the available alternatives that suit your requirements.
Shape and fit: Bidet toilet seats come in two shapes: elongated and round. You must choose the one that fits snugly over your toilet.
Water temperature: Almost all the models come with a warm water option. However, the method of heating the water can differ: while some models have to connect to an external line for warm water, others have their own heating elements and tanks for storage of water. Those self-heating models are obviously more efficient.
Feminine nozzle: Specially-designed bidet toilet seats are now available for women. The angle at which water is released from the nozzle is adjustable, and can be altered to meet feminine requirements.
Heated seat: Another desirable feature in a bidet is the option to warm the seat according to your convenience. This provides special comfort during the cold winter months.
Heated air dry: A nozzle that distributes warm air can be turned on to dry the posterior. The heat and pressure of the air can be controlled--this feature adds to the efficiency of your bidet toilet seat.
Adjustable water temperature and pressure: There is also a convenient feature that allows you to adjust the water temperature and pressure in accordance with your need.
Self-cleaning nozzles are common in most bidets. Now, a small number of models use different devices for nozzle sterilization. Both of these features go a long way in keeping your bidet toilet seat clean and hygienic.
Air Filters: Some bidet seats come with air filters that ventilate out the foul smelling air and process it to remove the odors before releasing it back into the bathroom.
Additional features: These features, although not essential, may be desirable for some customers:
- Adjustable spray width: In some of the high-end bidet toilet seats, you can adjust the width of the spray coming out of the nozzle.
- Oscillating cleanse helps cover a wider spray area, without adjusting your sitting position.
- Water pulse cleanse uses a pulse action spray to provide a better cleaning action.
- Turbo/enema wash is often used for conditions like hemorrhoids, constipation, etc. This option is designed to give a gentle massage to relax the anus before a bowel movement.
Novita is a leading supplier of bidet toilet seats and is an established name in quality and durability.
Bio-Bidet is another trusted brand that manufactures state-of-the-art bidet seats.
Genie Bidet manufacturers long-lasting, good-quality bidet seats.