Your Guide to Buying Bluetooth Speakers
How Do You Choose a Bluetooth Speaker?
If you are a music lover and prefer listening to digitized music away from your gadgets (such as a computer or a stereo system) or in the car, then you require a portable Bluetooth speaker linked wirelessly to your phone. Every year, hundreds of Bluetooth speakers are released onto the market. It is tough to find the one which will meet your requirements. To help you sort through the various products and find the best Bluetooth speaker, we have compiled a list of pointers.
What is a bluetooth speaker?
Bluetooth speakers are loudspeakers that receive digital audio signals over radio frequency (RF) waves instead of cables. Audio is transmitted using the Bluetooth protocol, converted to analog and amplified after receiving it.
What are the advantages of using a bluetooth speaker?
Due to the evolution of wireless technology, wireless speakers offer a lot of advantages over traditional wired counterparts. The following are some advantages of using Bluetooth speakers:
- Portability: Portable speakers are usually small and lightweight, enabling users to easily carry them wherever they go and conveniently enjoy music whenever and wherever they like.
- Convenience: With wireless bluetooth speakers, you won't have to deal with cables and adapters outside. This feature make them convenient for camping, picnics, and other outdoor activities.
- Sound: Bluetooth speakers feature high-quality sound for both indoor and outdoor enjoyment, and are available in many sizes.
- Energy Efficient: The low power consumption of portable bluetooth speakers is another impressive feature. Despite their excellent sound quality, portable Bluetooth speakers require a low amount of power, making them an energy-saving device.
- Affordability: It is possible for anyone to find a bluetooth speaker within their budget. They come in different price ranges that are affordable yet provide the quality of sound that users are looking for.
What to look for when buying a bluetooth speaker?
In order to determine what you are looking for in a speaker, you must first determine what it is going to be used for. Here are a few things to consider when buying a Bluetooth speaker:
- Battery Life: An average bluetooth speaker's battery life is roughly six to twelve hours, but there are some that last all day. The louder you play the speaker, the more current it will use and the battery life will be shorter. It is thus recommended to make sure the battery life is long enough for your needs
- Portability: Select the size of the speakers that best fits your space and needs. In general, the bigger the Bluetooth speaker, the louder it will sound. But for those who prefer to use the speaker wherever they go, look for a speaker that is small enough to be carried around while still providing enough sound for their entertainment.
- Frequency: Response frequencies are measured in Hertz and typically described as a range of frequencies. The larger the speaker's range, the better able it will be to reproduce audio in the way it was intended. Ensure that the device can produce the frequency you require and that it is compatible with the space where the speakers will be played.
- Bluetooth version: The version of Bluetooth you use determines the quality of audio transmission and how far your phone can be from the speaker. If possible, look for Bluetooth 4 or better, which has better battery life and covers a range of about 60 meters. The Bluetooth 5 version offers a higher data transfer rate and a greater range than the previous ones.
- Connectivity: It's also nice to have the option of a wired connection, so look for an auxiliary connector. A wired connection is useful if you want to save battery on your speaker and it also helps to improve sound quality. Additionally, NFC-enabled devices can connect wirelessly via Bluetooth to a speaker simply by tapping them together. It is also a good idea to have a microphone, as it allows you to answer calls directly through the speaker.
- Waterproof: Because Bluetooth speakers are portable, it means that they can be placed anywhere, even near water. For this reason, it is advisable to choose a speaker that has been made waterproof to prevent damage in case it is accidentally submerged in water.
What to consider when buying a Bluetooth speaker?
There are two types of Bluetooth speakers; the ultra-portable ones are easy to carry and can be easily called coat-friendly or pocket-friendly. The other type is the table-top semi-portable device and is more convenient if you want to set up a home theater system. Experts, however, will tell you to that it is not just the size which matters; we have scoured the internet and gone through several Bluetooth speaker reviews and consolidated some valuable points.
Think about technical specifications: While choosing the device, it is important to choose the size and arrangement of the speakers. A universal truth about Bluetooth speakers is that a bigger form factor ensures better sound. Higher wattage and larger speakers give more volume, so if you want your music to be loud and clear even in a pool of people, you need larger speakers with more power.
Check the IP ratings: It is the IP rating which ensures that your Bluetooth speaker is well-protected from liquid and solid items. It is always good to find a device which is not only waterproof and dust-proof but shock- and splash-proof as well.
Check the battery life: The battery life of a Bluetooth speaker largely depends on the model and the brand. Some may allow you to play 40 hours of music, while others may lose their battery at the end of 10 hours. Check the manufacturer’s estimated play time as the benchmark and not the battery capacity of the device. The battery sharing feature is also quite common in high-end speakers.
Go for online shopping: if you have already set your budget, it is good to check out the speakers online as it saves time, money and energy. You can also compare between different models before selection.
How to maintain your bluetooth speaker?
Keep your wireless speaker in prime condition by following these tips:
- Keep it clean: Use a simple cloth to wipe away dirt and other particles. Do not use liquids to clean your speaker because they can get inside the device and damage its internal parts.
- No Magnets: Magnets can damage your speakers' internal mechanisms. Keep your wireless Bluetooth speaker away from magnetic fields or metals that are conducive to magnetism.
- Charging: Make sure you charge your speaker once in a while to keep the batteries working. Leaving the device uncharged for a long time may damage its battery.
- Read and follow the manual: Always refer to the speaker's manual on how to properly operate it. You should not attempt to troubleshoot the device on your own because this may result in further damage.