Electric Mops FAQ
What is a steam mop?
A steam mop uses steam to dampen, loosen and clean tough, sticky messes from carpets and hard floors. It has a small water tank and uses heat from steam rather than cleaning agents such as bleach or detergent to disinfect floors. Scrubbing is performed using a removable cloth or microfiber pad that is placed beneath the steam jet to trap dirt.
What are the benefits of using steam mop?
A steam mop offers a lot of benefits. Here are a few of the most popular ones:
- Lightweight: Steam mops have the advantage of being lightweight and easy to maneuver around and under furniture.
- Eco-Friendly: Since steam cleaning uses only water for disinfection, you won't have to use any chemical cleaners to keep your space germ-free. Also, steam cleaners use little water and thus do not strain the water supply.
- Instant Dry: With the hot steam released by these mops, dirt and germs can be easily broken down and killed without the use of a lot of water. It leaves less water on your floor than standard mopping and dries more quickly.
- Odor-free: Steam mops remove stubborn dirt and bacteria without the need for chemical cleaners that leave a strong scent or caustic chemicals in your home. For those who are sensitive to the smell of cleaning products, you can now clean and sterilize your home using only fresh water, leaving your home odor-free.
What to consider when buying a steam mop?
Here are some things to consider when purchasing a steam mop:
- Size and Weight: Think about the unit's size and weight, and determine whether you want to push a heavy, bulky item or if you want something more portable and lightweight. Additionally, consider the features that make steamers easier to use and store, such as a removable water tank and telescoping or folding handles. Also make sure you have enough space to store the item when not in use.
- Tank Size: The smaller the water tank, the more frequently you will have to refill it, while the larger the water tank, the longer it will take to heat up. Make sure you consider the sizes of the water tanks in different models and choose one that best suits your needs.
- Pressure & Temperature: With higher pressure and temperature, steam cleaners are more sanitary and effective at destroying germs. Thus, if you are looking for a deeper and dryer clean, consider models that can generate more pressure and higher heat.
- Continuous refill: The models with continuous refill features have two water tanks, so you can easily refill one tank while cleaning.
- 2 in 1 Model: This model combines two types of cleaners, a steam mop and a vacuum cleaner. The use of a two-in-one model can be a good choice if you want to maximize your storage space.
- Heat Up Time: Check how long it takes the steam cleaner to start pumping out steam.
- Steaming time: Consider how long the steam cleaner can be used before it needs refilling.
- Attachments: Check to see what attachments the models come with and what you could purchase to go along with them if you want a steam cleaner that is versatile and can be used on different surfaces.
What should I do to maintain my steam cleaner?
Below are some easy, yet effective tips to help you keep your steamer in good running condition:
- Laundering: Any cloths or towels used by the steam cleaner should be washed with hot water only, and fabric softener should be avoided. Steam cleaner cloths should be air dried after they have been washed.
- Draining out the appliance: It is important to drain any steam mop tank after each use and allow it to air dry before storing it for the next use. A steam mop usually has a drain plug and comes with tools to remove it.
- Descale your machine: Minerals in water can build up in your steam cleaner's boiler tank and prevent it from working properly. Therefore it is recommended to remove hard water scale to keep your steamer functioning at a high capacity by either using a dedicated limescale remover or making your own.
- Use only water: To prevent damage to your steam cleaner, do not add anything other than water to the tank except when descaling a steam mop
- Care when doing maintenance: Be sure to let the steam cleaner cool completely before performing maintenance.
Can an electric mop outperform a manual mop?
Yes. An electric mop can outperform a manual mop to no small extent. An electric mop can clean at a constant speed because the motor speed never changes unlike for the manual mop where the user may get tired as they continue cleaning. Even though the electric mop does not work on its own, the energy consumed by the person using the manual mop is higher.