Portable Beds Buying Guide
One of the best investments you can make is buying a portable bed. You can accommodate your guests who wish to sleep over. They are super comfortable, relaxing and a great solution if you have limited space.
There are numerous portable bed options with a variety of designs and sizes you can choose from and shopping for the right one can be a daunting task. With this guide, you can confidently shop for the best portable bed to suit your needs.
What is a Portable Bed?
Portable beds are also known as foldable beds, stowaway beds, hideaway beds or rollaway beds. They are convenient and easy to set up, sturdy and take minimal space in your room. They are like regular beds but slightly smaller.
They come in a variety of designs and sizes including portable single bed, twin and queen size beds. When buying a portable bed choose one that is the right size and weight to accommodate your guests comfortably.
Most portable beds are made of steel for support and durability. Some are made of aluminium but do not last for long. The wheel configuration can either be locking caster or raised caster wheels for excellent manoeuvrability.
The mattress material includes memory foam, hammock-style, and fibre-padding among others and comes in different thickness to suit your needs. Portable beds for adults come with casters or wheels for smooth movement. They are raised from the floor, and the mattress thickness is higher than for toddler beds.
Portable bed frame for toddlers can either be folded up toddler beds or inflatable toddler beds. Inflatable beds are more expensive than the fold up beds. They are also more durable lasting you up to 4 years.
Top sites to buy Portable Bed
There are a few websites you should go for the best prices and quality. These include:
Quite a limited number of portable beds compared to Amazon and eBay. But they boast of the top-rated brands with tasteful designs at affordable prices. Get yourself the perfect sleeping solution without compromising on comfort.
Visit Amazon for the best portable beds. Whether you want a foldable bed or an air mattress, this site’s got you covered with the best quality beds featuring elegant and sleek designs to suit your needs and budget.
You get to choose a portable bed from different designs and sizes from twin size to full beds and queen size beds. Whether you need a solution for your guest room or camping needs, you get to enjoy free shipping of their affordable beds.
Wayfair has a variety of portable beds with different styles, sizes and, materials. Even though they have a limited selection, they have tons of affordable options at reduced prices.
How to choose Portable Beds for Adults?
There are core features you should look out for when choosing a portable bed for adults:
There are different types of portable beds in the market. Know what type of bed you are buying. Is it a regular or a flooring bed? Regular beds have strong support frames and are sturdy while flooring beds can be adjusted to sit low on the floor and double up as a convenient option if you have guests who are kids.
Are the frames of the regular bed sturdy and durable? Is the bed easily foldable or not? If you opt for a flooring bed instead, the bed frame is not significant. Choose beds with steel frame rather than an aluminium frame for durability and support.
Wheels are a vital feature of portable beds to help you manoeuvre the bed around with ease and convenience. Ensure the wheels have an excellent locking system for added comfort.
Various brands have different quality of mattresses for portable beds. Some beds come with memory foam mattresses and some with regular foam mattresses each to cater for your preferences.
The mattress thickness also varies with the type of bed. Choose one that will give you maximum comfort. Also consider features such as a washable cover, water resistant ability and strength of stitching.
When and where are Portable Beds used?
There are many situations where you can use portable beds including;
Hotel rooms- most hotel rooms have double, queen and king size portable beds. In case a guest needs an extra bed, there’ll be one readily available.
Guest room- you can have a guest room with one regular bed and an extra portable bed for an additional guest. So instead of sending your guests away or making them sleep on the sofa, you can have them sleeping on the movable bed.
Dorm rooms- if you are required to bring your bed to the dorm, portable beds are your best option. Dorm spaces are quite small, and a portable bed is a great option to have you settled in and sleep with comfort.
What are the types of Portable Beds?
There are few types of portable beds including;
Foldable beds are the best solution if you live in an apartment with limited floor space. Even though they are less portable than air mattresses, they offer you greater comfort.
Pros of foldable beds:
- Highly durable- they are made steel frames for durability and support and are built to carry a lot of weight.
- Easy to manoeuvre- even though they won't fit in your travel bag the casters and mounted wheels at the base allow for smooth gliding and ease of movement around the house.
- Better quality sleep- most folding beds come with highly durable soft foam mattresses which can withstand regular folding and unfolding. Together with the sprang slatted base you get superior support and comfort than an air mattress.
Cons of foldable beds:
- They occupy a larger space than air mattresses and can only fold up in half.
- They are difficult to assemble.
Air mattresses save you maximum space in your home. They are light, portable and can be stored away when not in use. They take up zero floor space, are less expensive and smaller in size compared to foldable beds.
Inflatable mattresses offer the greatest versatility and flexibility. Unlike foldable beds, you can tuck them in your travel back and go hiking or camping.
Pros of air mattresses:
- Zero sagging- air mattress unlike regular mattress do not give away with constant use all you have to do is inflate your mattress, and it goes back to its original form.
- Portability- air mattress beds beat foldable beds by a clean mile, they don’t have any bulky frames or rigid material. Once deflated you can fit it into your bag with ease and take it wherever you go.
- Inexpensive- a decent air mattress costs a fraction of a foldable bed so if you are working on a tight budget this bed is your best option.
Cons of air mattresses:
- Pump replacements- air mattresses rely on built-in pumps which tend to break down with years of use. The pumps are also noisy, especially when inflating the mattress.
- Short warranties- air mattresses come with a shorter warranty than spring or latex mattresses. If the air pump or PVC structure gives out after your warranty expires you will foot for the repair bills.
Pros and Cons of Portable Beds
- Saves on space and are easy to store after use.
- Quite affordable with the comfort of a regular bed
- Suitable to carry with you away from home when camping, lodging or mountain climbing
- The memory foam retains its shape even with years of use
- Noise disturbance when moving the bed especially after years of use
- Limited guarantee policy
- Take up a lot of space especially for foldable portable beds
Portable beds are an excellent solution for limited spaces. They are made of steel for durability and support and are ideal for both toddlers and adults.
You can use these beds in guest rooms, hotel rooms, dorm rooms or outdoor camping.
Foldable beds are more extensive and made of steel frames while air mattresses are inexpensive inflatable options. Even though portable beds have a limited guarantee and don’t last you a lifetime, they give you a bang for your back.
All Related Topics
Bed Styles & Types
Upholstered bed | Camping bed | Swing bed | Triple bunk bed | Low loft bed | Pull out bed | Sleigh bed | Cot bed | Round bed | Floating bed | Captain's bed | Floor bed | panel bed | Portable bed | Princess bed | Fold up bed | Four poster bed | Futon bunk bed | Indoor hammock bed | Wood bed frame