What to Look For When Selecting a Smart TV
What is a smart television (smart TV)?
Smart TVs are equipped with internet connectivity and support a wide range of applications through the use of Ethernet and built-in Wi-Fi. They allow users to stream video, play games, check social media, control a whole house full of connected devices, including Alexa-enabled devices and Google-enabled devices.
Types of Smart Tvs
What are the different types of smart TV?
Smart TVs can be categorized by Resolution and Display.
- Resolution: A Smart TV can be divided into three types of resolution: 4K Ultra HD, Full HD and HD. The resolution of a 4K Ultra HD TV is four times higher than a Full HD TV offering more clarity and detail. On the other hand, Full HD resolution is high enough to provide an excellent viewing experience without compromising picture quality.
- Display: The screen of the Smart TV is LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) and the light source is either LED (Light Emitting Diodes) or OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diodes). While LED displays are considered ideal for all kinds of lighting conditions, OLED displays provide higher levels of color accuracy, wider viewing angles, and blur-free images.
What reviewers say
Why should I buy a smart TV?
Your home or office can benefit from smart tvs that offer the following advantages:
- Wide Access: The main benefit of smart TVs is their high number of access points to TV, movies, and music channels without the need for a TV antenna or cable/satellite subscription. Additionally, it allows users to browse the internet, play games, and access media content stored on their computer.
- Sharing: Smart TVs offer more features, such as Miracast and Screen Sharing, through which users can view content from compatible smartphones and tablets on their TV.
- Games: There is a large variety of games that are accessible through smart TVs, provided the software platform on which they are based is compatible.
- Connectivity: Your smart TV can connect to the Internet via Ethernet or wirelessly through Wi-Fi. Through this, users can enjoy various entertainment options by downloading the correct smart apps. Also, it can be connected to smart devices such as Alexa, which offers voice control over the television.
What are the things to consider when buying a smart tv?
The following are the most important things to consider before buying a television:
- Display: A smart TV's screen display is one of the first things to consider when buying one. Following is a comparison of the different types of displays.
- OLED: The most easily available screen technology today, but likewise, the most expensive. It is known as having the best black levels and can function all on its own without the need for a backlight. The image quality, power efficiency, and even physical dimensions of OLEDs are better than LCDs.
- LED or LCD: Pixels on LED LCD screens are illuminated by a backlight. Compared to conventional televisions, LED TVs produce a stronger contrast, thinner panels, dissipate less heat and offers a brighter viewing experience. The backlight is significantly more energy-efficient than CCFL, making this the preferred screen technology today.
- Size: The screen size you choose should depend on the size of your home, your budget, and the distance you will sit from the screen.
- Resolution: Resolution refers to the sharpness of the TV picture. If you want a smart TV with the latest resolution and a long lifespan, consider getting 4K models. Among the biggest advantages of 4K TVs are the sharper text and finer details of tiny objects. On the other hand, Ultra HD is easier to find than 4K and is usually used to stream videos online. Currently, Full HD(1080p) is the most common screen resolution, but manufacturers are already upgrading to UHD or 4K.
- Refresh Rate: This described the number of times per second that a picture is refreshed on the screen is expressed in Hertz (Hz). The standard refresh rate is 60 times per second. Select a television with a refresh rate of at least 120 Hz. Objects moving rapidly can appear blurry with a low refresh rate.
- Connections: The more ports, the better. Consider the number of HDMI inputs a smart TV set has. A smart TV should come with at least four HDMI ports. Ensure that they support HDMI 2.0 to accommodate future Ultra HD sources.