Solar Deck Post Lights FAQ
What is a solar deck light?
Solar deck lights are outdoor lights that are easy to install and automatically turn on when darkness settles in. There are three to eight lights in each pack, and they can be set up on any size deck. In addition, these lights can be used as step lights or wall-mounted lights.
What are the advantages of using solar deck light?
Here are some advantages of solar deck lights for your home:
- Safety: Lighting on decks is essential for increasing safety. By installing solar railing lights, you can define your deck's edge visually, and lights strategically positioned near steps will prevent personal injury from tripping.
- Easy Installation: Solar lights are wireless units that are relatively simple to install. Their ease of installation also makes them very popular with DIYers. Deck post solar light caps are easy to install and do not require any electrical knowledge.
- Aesthetic value: A well-lit deck adds a boost to curb appeal in terms of increased safety and overall beauty. Not only will your home have a higher aesthetic value, but it will be more comfortable to live in as well.
- Brightness: Solar lights come in different brightness levels. Some models have bright lights that consume more power, while others have dim lights if you prefer a more relaxing atmosphere. This allows you to control the amount of light you wish to have in your home.
- Maintenance: Solar lighting requires less maintenance and is more durable. All that needs to be checked is when it's time for new batteries.
What are the things to consider when buying solar deck lights?
Consider the following factors when selecting a solar deck light:
- Brightness: Consider lighting systems that provide you with two or three different lighting modes and colors. Using warm white light on the deck is best for entertaining guests, while cool white light is great for lighting up the area for security.
- Battery: Think about choosing deck lights that have rechargeable batteries. In general, the average capacity of a 600-mAh battery is enough to provide solar lighting for eight hours.
- Lighting Angle and Range: It is recommended to check the distance and angle at which the device throws light onto the deck. The majority of deck lights offer a 120-degree range of light, so you need several lights placed equally apart in order to illuminate your deck. A few lights, however, have an angle as wide as 150 degrees to light up a larger area on your patio.
- Weather Resistance: Choose a solar deck light with an IP rating for weather resistance. The most common water-resistant ratings for deck lights are IP44, IP45, and IP65. With this rating, your light is adequately protected from rain and extreme weather conditions.
- Warranty: Make sure your deck lights are covered by a manufacturer's warranty. The majority of models come with a 1 year warranty.
How to use solar deck lights properly?
Here are some tips to keep your solar deck lights in good condition:
- Check light settings: Check the light settings before you turn on the light for the first time. It is always recommended to refer to the owner's manual for instructions.
- Charge it before use: Turn the light on and allow it to charge for at least six hours before using it for the first time. Ideally, it should be installed first thing in the morning to have the longest possible charging time.
- No obstructions: You must keep the solar light deck clear of any branches, plants and debris that might block the light. Dirty or blocked solar light decks will not charge the battery completely, resulting in shorter battery life.
- When to replace batteries: It's time to change batteries when the light becomes weak. Consult the manual for information on what battery to use and how to replace it.
- Where to place the solar deck: Place your solar deck light away from nighttime light sources such as porch lights and street lights. The high-powered porch light or street light will decrease the sensitivity of the solar light deck sensor, and it might even prevent the light from being activated automatically.
What are the best solar deck post lights to use for lighting up your decks?
Solar-powered deck lights can be an advantageous option to help you save lots of electricity costs. They should have high capacity batteries that can keep the deck lights on for over 12 hours after the sun has gone down. Best solar-powered lights in the market are fitted with light sensors that automatically switch the lights on and off. Additionally, they also have motion sensors that can cover a wide area of about 120 degrees